Trengwainton House and the surrounding property was bought by Thomas Simon Bolitho in 1867. His grandson, Lieutenant Colonel Sir Edward Bolitho KCB CB DSO, was primarily responsible for creating the outstanding Garden, after inheriting the property in 1924. Open most of the year, it is famous for its collection of magnolias, rhododendron, camellias and other tender shrubs, along with the long border on the edge of the stream that flows through it. For more details, see the National Trust website.
The Garden is also home to the award winning Trengwainton Tea Rooms which provides an excellent array of homemade cakes and lunches for both visitors and non-visitors to the garden.
In 1961 Sir Edward gave the Garden to the National Trust. They now administer it, supported by his grandson Colonel Edward Bolitho OBE, who now lives in the House with his family. The House is not open to the public.
The Bolithos have been involved in public life for many generations and Edward Bolitho has been Lord Lieutenant of Cornwall since 2011. More detail of this role, representing HM The Queen in Cornwall, can be found here.